Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
What causes the pain?
The symptoms of CTS are caused by:
- The tunnel partially collapsing, pinching the nerves, blood vessels and tendons.
- The nerve that goes to the wrist is actually pinched somewhere else, most commonly in the neck.
- You can also have the nerve pinched in th neck and wrist causing a "Double Crush" syndrome. (See left)
- Adjustments of the wrist bones to re-build the tunnel.
- Ice - for 20 minutes at a time only!
- Wrist bracing
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Surgery - use as a last resort
Dr. Wong's Recommendations
- Avoid continuous use of the wrists. Take micro breaks, stretching your wrists for 10 seconds every 20 minutes.
- Gently exercise your hands by squeezing a simple rubber ball.
Go back to PhysiciansPlus
Go back to Doc Wong's Health Page
Go back to Doc Wong's home page